Dynamic Tool Parameter Lists?

| Threaded

Dynamic Tool Parameter Lists?

John Major
Hello Gal-Dev,

I've been poking around looking for a way to define a tool and be able to define a dynamic set of values for a property dropdown.  Say, I wanted to present a list of transcipt ID's in my tool page, with this list drawn from a database local to my system.

Is there any mechanism to do this?

thanks-
john

  http://lists.bx.psu.edu/
| Threaded

Re: Dynamic Tool Parameter Lists?

Hans-Rudolf Hotz
Hi John

Looks like nobody has replied so far.....hence, I present once again our
quick-and-dirty solution for this:

We use the "dynamic_options" attribute, eg:

   <inputs>
      <param name="foo" type="select" label="what"
           help="Use tickboxes to select "
           display="radio"
           dynamic_options="ds_fooOptions()"/>
    </inputs>
    <outputs>
      <data format="fasta" name="output" label="more foo" />

    </outputs>
    <code file="extra_code_for_foo_list.py" />
     <help>
     </help>

   </tool>

and then we have a little python script ("extra_code_for_foo_list.py")
with the "ds_fooOptions" function, eg

def ds_fooOptions():
      """List available foos as tuples of (displayName,value)"""
      foos = <whatever python code is required to generate the tuples
      return foos>

In our case, we have some python code reading the contents of a
directory, and the providing the file names which pass a certain regular
expression. It shouldn't be a problem to get the list of items from a
database instead.

I hope this helps, Hans

  http://lists.bx.psu.edu/